The Beginning

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Figuring out the numbers....

Well... it turns out that I can't sleep. So I started thinking more about counting my calories... and what I need to do. I've been reading the Blog Body by Pizza and it has given me so much insight. I looked back on how she calculated her information.... here's how
I started reading and she used Jillian Michael's book Winning by Losing.... so I pulled it out too... and here's what I came up with.

First I figured out my basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is basically the number of calories your body burns just by being alive.... breathing, digesting, your heartbeat.... etc. So here's the formula:

Female:
655 + (4.3 x weight in lbs) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x ages in years) = BMR

Male BMR equation:

66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs) + (12.9 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years) = BMR

My BMR is 1792.9

Next came figuring in my ‘daily activity level’ score using five options:

Sedentary Physical Activity Level (desk job, other work that entails sitting down for most of the day). If yes, your score is 1.1

Light Physical Activity Level (on feet/walking around for 1/2 the day or more, e.g. stay at home mothers, salespeople, doctors). If yes, your score is 1.2

Moderate Physical Activity Level (on the move all day with a few limited periods of being sedentary, e.g. gardeners, carpenters, mail carriers). If yes, your score is 1.3.

High Physical Activity Level (constantly on the move with significant amounts of physical labor, e.g. construction worker, farm workers, movers). If yes, your score is 1.4

I scored a 1.2.

In addition to my BMR and ‘daily activity level’, I lastly had to figure in my exercise expenditure using a chart on the next page. Now... I'm not sure what my daily expenditure is yet. I'm pretty sure that they two days I've gone to the gym I've definitely burned at least 400 (which is also what Rachel did). In Jillian's book it says not to go by what the machines say because they don't use accurate info.... and what you need is a heart rate monitor. All the machines I use have a heart rate monitor... and they have to have your input like your height and weight... so until I do get a heart rate monitor.... the machines it is... (Unless Jillian wants to come and coach me :o)

Here's the math:

BMR x Daily Activity + Exercise Expenditure = AMR (Active Metabolic Rate)

BMR (1,793) x Daily Activity Level (1.2) + Exercise Expenditure (400) = 2550.4

My AMR is 2550

Okay so a pound of fat is 3,500 calories. And to lose 2 lbs per week... that would be 7,000 calories.

2,550 calories (daily AMR) x 7 days = 17,850 calories per week.

My goal is to lose two pounds a week, thus, I will need to create a 7,000 calorie deficit per week.

17,850 calories (weekly AMR) – 7,000 calories (equivalent to 2 lbs) = 10,850 calories per week.

Now I can divide my weekly calories (10,850) by 7 (days of the week) and my daily caloric allowance is 1,550 calories per day.

I'm going to finish reading up this book... well start :o) Book project #6 I think.... (I need a rainy day to finish some of my books) that way I can understand how to divy up my calories like Rachel did. She saves the most calories for her weekends which I think is a wonderful idea.

Okay now I'd better go to sleep I have to go to the gym in 6 hours.... Ughh.. I need some sleep.





3 comments:

  1. The tracker I mentioned in the last comment?...will figure that all out for you as you go along. If you are a Brit - then there is a similar one on www.weightlossresources.co.uk, although that can be 'altered' to use American foods too. Hope that helps.

    BR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS for the info! I think I'll try and calculate all my stuff too! Especially since as of right now I have no intentions of calorie counting.. but I'm thinking maybe I should for the best results..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, major figurings out!! **LOL**

    looks like we started the blogs the same time! 7000 to lose 2 pounds a weeks sounds HUGE!! sometimes math sucks!!

    ReplyDelete